flag_japan_tinyJapanese translation

Update from the Ross Sea
Sea Shepherd's Operation Musashi

February 6th, 2009
0800 Hours (Sydney Time)
1300 Hours (PST) (February 5th)
75 Degrees 44 Minutes South and 165 Degrees 39 Minutes West

The Sea Shepherd ship Steve Irwin collided with the Yushin Maru #2 this morning as the harpoon vessel moved in to block the Steve Irwin's attempt to prevent the transfer of a dead whale up the slipway of the Nisshin Maru.

"We were in the process of blocking the transfer from the Yushin Maru #2 when the Yushin Maru #1 moved directly in front of the bow to block us," said Captain Watson. "I could not turn to starboard without hitting the Yushin Maru #1. I tried to back down but the movement of the Yushin Maru #2 made the collision unavoidable."

The Yushin Maru #2 was transferring a 2nd whale killed this morning.

"The whalers have decided to test our resolve," said 1st Officer Peter Hammarstedt. "They have escalated this battle to see just how determined we are to protect these whales. We're shepherds and we will do what we can to protect our flock from these murderous poachers."

The Yushin Maru #3 has also killed a whale but is unable to approach the factory ship because the Steve Irwin is now guarding the slipway.

The Sea Shepherd crew intend to hold this position to prevent the transfer.

Japanese factory whaling ship the Nisshin Maru, right, hauls a newly caught
minke whale up its slipway while harpoon ship the Yushin Maru No. 2
sails close behind and a Sea Shepherd helicopter flies overhead.

Sea Shepherd crew members on the bow of the M/Y Steve Irwin
are doused by water cannons from Japanese factory whaling ship,
the Nisshin Maru, after the ship hauled in a newly caught
minke whale in Antarctica's Ross Sea.

Sea Shepherd's ship, the M/Y Steve Irwin collides with the
stern of Japanese harpoon whaling ship, the Yushin Maru No. 2
while factory ship the Nisshin Maru (background) processes
a newly caught minke whale.

All Photos by Adam Lau / Sea Shepherd

Pin It
Sea Shepherd